My name is Rachel Garant, otherwise known as The Second Hand Stylist. My goal is to empower women through their wardrobe, helping them become eco-friendly while feeling their best.
I moved to Grand Rapids two years ago and instantly fell in love. I was inspired by the many women entrepreneurs in the community and got the courage to launch The Second Hand Stylist.
I started my blog last June after deciding to be more vocal about my love of second hand shopping and sustainable fashion. I wanted to use my voice and any influence I had to erase the negative stigma around second hand shopping. I’m hoping The Second Hand Stylist will change the way people look at fashion and create more empowered women.
Second Hand Style Boxes
Along with the blog, I also offer personal styling sessions and most recently, Second Hand Style Boxes.
In a Personal Styling Session I’ll create a collection of 20 like-new second hand pieces for you to shop. A styling session is great if you love the idea of second hand shopping, but don’t know where to start or don’t have the time to go through the racks.
With Second Hand Style Boxes you can get a one-time or quarterly subscription box filled with second hand finds. After filling out your Style Profile, I’ll choose items specifically for you based on your wardrobe needs and style.
It’s always been important to me to support the Grand Rapids second hand community. With recent months of lost profits, our local brick & mortar businesses need our support more than ever. I’ve created a list of second hand stores near to my heart. I encourage you to check them out online or go on a road trip once they open back up to visit in person.
Second Hand Stores in Grand Rapids
Until retail opens back up, here are a few ways you can stay connected and support stores in the Greater Grand Rapids Area.
- My Sister’s Closet Thrift – Middleville: They have an awesome website that is updated regularly with curated thrift finds. Check it out, HERE. Make sure to follow them on Instagram, for sneak peaks, fashion tips and closet clean-out inspo.
- Dearly Loved Bridal – Lowell: Follow them on Instagram for the latest updates, behind the scenes photos, and beautiful bridal dresses. You can shop their website, schedule a virtual appointment or book a private in-store appointment with a limit of 2 guests.
- Georgies Consignment – Ada: Stay tuned to their Facebook & Instagram for updates on opening back up!
- Rosa’s Closet – East Grand Rapids: Tune into their Facebook account for LIVE shopping videos and follow them on Instagram to see available merchandise!
- Rock Paper Scissors – Uptown Grand Rapids: Consider purchasing a gift card for you or a friend to shop later. They also launched a new website where you can shop available clothing! Check it out HERE.
- Urban Exchange – Uptown Grand Rapids: Stay tuned to their Facebook & Instagram for updates on opening back up. They will be taking consignment drop-offs by appointment.
- Second Dance GR – Downtown Grand Rapids: Has a great selection of formal dresses for any occasion – bridal, bridesmaids, wedding attendee, date night – you name it. They are currently open by appointment only. You can also shop their inventory online – check out their website, HERE.
- Audrey Lane – Plainfield Ave: Keep an eye on their Facebook & Instagram to shop inventory – they are offering free porch drop-offs within a 15 minute radius or $7 shipping. They are also starting to take summer inventory, contact them at email@example.com for more info.
- Gild the Lily – Rockford: You can shop their merchandise online, HERE. Shipping is $7 no matter how many items you purchase. Connect with them on Instagram, they just added a new feature where you can shop directly from the platform!
- LBD Exchange – Rockford: LBD is now selling inventory on Poshmark, check out their shop HERE. Follow them on Instagram, for updates and exclusive deals! If you would like to purchase a gift card email the store owner: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow The Second Hand Stylist
I know there are other amazing second hand stores in the Greater Grand Rapids area, so please leave a comment adding additional recommendations of places to check out.
*all photos are taken by local Grand Rapids Photographer, Alina Albin.
Check out these other GRG second hand favorites here!