View this post on Instagram
Don't let this cool weather slow you down! Get out and enjoy this amazing #beergarden @thesovengard! It is SO cool AND it's Friday! #grandrapidsgirl #grg #thesovengard #westsidegr #bridgestreet #viadesign #friyay #biergarten #experiencegrandrapids #experiencegr #happyhour #viadesigninc
- January 17, 2018
7 Cozy Restaurants to Enjoy in GR This Winter
One of our favorite ways to enjoy the long dark evenings of winter is to enjoy a cozy dinner out. Today we’re rounding up some of our favorite spots to cozy up and savor the slower pace and long dark evenings.
1) Rose’s Restaurant – Roses is a year round favorite but this time of year we especially love the warm fire places and beautiful views of frozen Reed’s lake! We like to take advantage of the Happy Hour Specials which offer $3 house wines, draft beers and well drinks along with additional discounts on appetizers and pizzas. This is one of our favorite deals to do on the weekends, you know, when breakfast turns into lunch and lunch into happy hour dinner. A wood fired pizza and glass of red wine is our perfect combination.
2) Butcher’s Union – What could be more cozy than meat and whiskey? So many delicious comfort food options and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. The mission of this amazing new restaurant is to offer delicious food, inspired cocktails and an unrivaled whiskey collection while creating a culture of warmth and belonging where everyone is welcome. Well, we think you’re doing a great job! By sourcing local ingredients from trusted farmers and partners they also support our communities. Passion, purpose and a good time all come together at this new little gem. Did someone say bacon wrapped meatloaf?
3) Cottage Bar – It is no wonder why The Cottage Bar is the oldest operating bar and restaurant in downtown Grand Rapids. Known for its casual charm and down to earth atmosphere, they are also famous for having the city’s best burgers and three different styles of award winning chili. The cottage burger was also voted the best burger in Michigan by USA Today! We’ve been going here as long as I can remember and I’m still a sucker a cold beer, cottage burger and those beer battered mushrooms.
4) Honey Creek Inn – Located in the village of Cannonsburg the restaurant’s rustic and casual charm is consistent with the delicious grub they’ve been serving up since the original tavern was founded in 1935. This special place is Historic, full of local tradition, and the warmth of the many hearts that have passed through the Inn over the years. This destination spot is definitely worth the drive for some pan seared Walleye and truffle fries. Yum!
5) Sovengaard – Located in Grand Rapids’ booming west side is this amazing little European gem. You’ll find it tucked away in the garden level of a historic building. The subtleness and mystery of the location is just the beginning of the cozy experience. The menu offers equally interesting seasonal cuisine that are sure to expand your culinary experiences. This is where cozy meets trendy hot spot and we certainly love that combination!
6) Matchbox Diner – We love this local eatery for it’s cozy neighborhood feel. They have the best Bloody Mary’s, serve breakfast all day and also dish out some delicious comfort food favorites. When we’re in the mood for a home cooked meal but don’t feel like cooking we head right on over for their shepherd’s pie or tasty fried chicken with mac n cheese. Nothing says home cookin’ like chicken pot pie! Matchbox Diner warms our hearts and bellies right up!
7) Osteria Rossa – I can’t think of a better cure to beat the cold than Italian food and red wine! “Warmth of the mitten, soul of the boot” is the motto of Osteria Rossa. It most definitely is a casual place that brings people together to enjoy small plates, wood fired pizza, homemade pasta and a variety of seasonal dishes. Their focus is Italian inspired cooking featuring local ingredients of Michigan farms, all served in a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. What more could you want? It’s no surprise this cozy eatery has been awarded many restaurant and chef honors from local publications. We love it too!
Did we miss anything? List your favorites in the comments!